Last Updated on
All you need to know about the Tops Knives for Wild Pig Hunter and more!
Here’s the deal:
Wild pig hunting has become a very popular sport. A lot of us are doing it for the sake of minimizing the damage they cause too, those feral hogs with their almost 400 pound bodies can do a nasty number on a hunter and his dog!
Now friends I know that hunting a wild hog with nothing but a knife sounds downright ludicrous, but if you’re pumped to try it out, you damn well better be covered by a solid knife.
So what do you need in a wild pig hunting knife?
- 6-10 Inch Blade – the blade needs to be long enough to reach a big boar’s heart, you want to make sure that you’ve got enough knife to get the job done.
- Solid Grip – you’re going to be striking a moving object, which means you need a solid grip even when things get a little wet or muddy out there
- Full Tang Blade – it’s full tang or nothing at all. You need a strong blade that won’t break when you need it to hold up
- Thick Blade – look for something with a blade thickness of at least 3/16 inch thick
- Good Hand Guard – hand in hand with the solid grip deal, you need a hand guard to keep your hand safe when the handle gets wet
With the demand on the rise, I thought I’d go ahead and recommend my go-to knife for this sport. The Tops Wild Pig Hunter Knife.
With a hardcore design, this knife sports a 7.5 inch blade that was made with deep positive piercing penetration in mind and it’s backed up by a strong puncture point. The 1/4 inch thick blade is made from 1095 high carbon steel and with the Black River Wash Finish; it looks amazing and offers you years of invaluable service.
The Tops Pig Hunter Knife also sports a green Micarta handle, or as Tops calls it, the “Rocky Mountain Tread”, that ensures a great grip even when things get a little wet, bloody or muddy out there.
- Overall length – 12 inches
- Blade length – 7.5 inches
- Blade thickness – 1.4 inches
- Blade steel – 1095 High Carbon Steel
- Handle – green canvas Micarta
- Blade finish – Black River Wash
- Sheath – leather
- Total weight – 14 ounces
- Made in the USA
- The blade comes razor sharp straight out of the box
- The blade is great with edge retention
- The leather sheath is actually pretty impressive
- The handle material is superb
- The blade material is very durable and strong
- The overall quality and finish is flawless
- They’re a little expensive
What Alternatives are there to the Tops Knives Wild Pig Hunter Knife?
Well actually there are a lot of pigstickers on the market. I’ll tell you about three of the best alternatives to the Tops Knives Wild Pig Hunter…
1. Entrek Sub-hilt Silhouette Black Blade Double Edged Bowie Style Knife
If you’re not sticking with Tops, the Entrek Sub-Hilt is your second best option for wild hog hunting. It’s made with 440c stainless steel that’s durable and holds an edge like crazy, plus it’s also rust-resistant. The 1/4 inch thick blade measures in at 7 5/8 inches long, which is ideal. I love the sub hilt with the finger guard that makes it difficult to lose your grip. The blade’s backside is sharpened for better and easier penetration too!
2. ESEE Venom Junglas VG
The ESEE Venom Junglas VG is an excellent choice for wild pig hunting too. The blade is bold and you won’t miss it, which means this is a great option for nighttime hunting. It does come in a blacked out version, but for nighttime hunting I just prefer the luminous green. The 10 3/8 inch long blade is made with 1095 carbon steel and measures in at 1/4 inch thick. The handle is no-slip to ensure you always have the best grip. The best thing about the ESEE Venom Junglas is the fact that it perfectly doubles up as a kick-ass survival knife!
If you happen to be ESEE knife fan, you would love the list of ESEE knife info that we gathered here.
3. Cold Steel Peace Keeper I in San Mai III Knives
If your budget is a little tight, I’d highly recommend you take a look at the Cold Steel Peace Keeper I because it has an amazingly affordable price tag. The San Mai III Steel comes from Japan, which is why it’s so cheap! At a length of 7 inches the blade is perfectly sized for deep penetration without schlep. The Peace Keeper also comes with a Kray-Ex non slip handle that performs exceptionally well in wet and muddy conditions.
You now know all you needed to about the Tops Knives Wild Pig Hunter Knife, and more! I’ve also shown you 3 alternatives that you might want to consider if you’re not sold on the brand just yet.
Coming up next I’ll be showing you some of the best Kydex Knife Sheaths out there, because if you’re anything like me, you own quite a few knives with sheaths that might just as well have been excluded from the deal!
BlizeTec Survival Fixed Blade Knife Review Video
I am a family man love outdoor activities such as hunting and hiking.
Since I have limited time for my hobbies, I look for quality tools to let me REALLY enjoy what I do.