Pocket knives are important tools that can be vital in survival, and every day, situations. But when it comes to this simple item that’s been around for centuries, which one do you pick? Do you opt for the one with loads of complicated gadgets, or do you stick to something a little simpler? This is where we come in, to guide you into finding the Best Folding Pocket knife for your needs.
Which is the Best Single Blade Folding Pocket Knife to buy?
Before we dive into what the best folding pocket knives are, there are a few things you need to take into consideration before you purchase a pocket knife:
- Size and Weight – A folding pocket knife needs to be small and tight, because pocket knives are not about performance, but rather about practicality
- Material – S30V or anything higher are great steel materials to opt for in your pocket knife
- Features – Generally speaking, single blade pocket knives will cater for about 90% of your needs, but if you can, opt for a partially serrated blade, which will add more functionality to the knife. Your pocket knife needs a pocket clip, which will allow you to keep the knife handy at all times
- Quality – You don’t need to invest in the most expensive pocket knife, all you really need is sufficient quality and great performance. Knives made in the USA generally have the best quality
- Price – If you’re looking at fulfilling the basics as listed above, be prepared to dish out at least $25 for a good quality folding pocket knife.
Different Types of Folding Pocket Knives
Generally speaking, there are three main types of Pocket Knives: Single-Blade Knives, Multi-Blade Knives and Multi-Tools, so let’s take a look at each:
- Single Blade Pocket Knives
These guys are famous for their simplicity and size, and the focus is mainly on the design of one large blade. The only problem with single-bladed knives is their lack of variety. They are strong, all-purpose knives, but definitely not for multi-purpose use, which brings us to…
- Multi-Blade Pocket Knives
These knives are one unit that can do the job of two or three knives, and they generally have 2, 3 or 4 blades. These knives are great for when you need to carve wood and skin animals with the same tool. The downside to multi-blade pocket knives is that they don’t offer you the same strength and durability that single-blade knives do.
- Swiss Army Knives & Multi-tools
These knives are great for when you more than just blades. They come with saws, toothpicks, and tweezers, can openers, nail files, scissors, corkscrews and much more. Multi-tool knives are probably the most versatile pocket knives on the market today.
That being said, let’s take a look of some of the best folding pocket knives on the market today:
1. The Classic Folding Pocket Knife
This is probably one of the most classic folding pocket knives out there and has some serious ruggedness and durability to it.
We love the smooth edge, which is great for hunters and outdoorsmen and comes with a 420HC stainless steel clip point blade measuring 3 and ¾ of an inch. If the lifetime warranty from Buck doesn’t tell you just how reliable this knife is, we don’t know what will.
2. The Working Man’s Folding Pocket Knife with Stainless Steel Blade
Case pocket knives are probably as common as blue jeans, but the difference comes in with their exceptional durability. With a Tru-Sharp, Drop Point surgical steel blade, the Case 02758 has a super sharp edge, all built into a rugged frame.
Measuring in at 3 inches closed length, it’s the perfect size for a folding pocket knife. We also love the Lockback design (which might be a little stiff at times) that adds strength to the knife when it’s opened up.
3. The Military Background Folding Pocket Knife
We love this knife because it can be used as a general utility knife with the smooth upper portion of the knife scraping and slashing, while doubling up as a sawing tool thanks to the serrated lower end.
The 3.5 inch blade is made form AUS-8 steel, which gives you great edge retention properties. Spring loaded, this knife snaps into action with the least of effort. Another great thing about the Flash II is it’s great grip. The Flash II is truly a survivalist’s dream come true
4. The Budget Friendly Folding Pocket Knife
Bringing you the lowest price, but not sacrificing the quality in any way, the Kershaw Cryo is a great average Joe’s folding pocket knife. Covering the knife from butt to tip, the Cryo is coated with 8Cr13MoV steel, giving it a little more durability. We think the Cryo just about strikes the perfect balance between price and quality.
5. The Smallest Folding Pocket Knife
This is the smallest of the eight knives in the Paraframe series from Gerber, and has the same frame-lock design as the rest of them.
The easy-open frame knife has a serrated locking blade that’s super lightweight, easy to clean and opens up for use effortlessly. It has a smooth stainless steel handle and a clip for easy carrying, which makes the Paraframe Mini everything a small folding pocket knife could ever dream of being.
Folding pockets knives are always great to carry around. They come in handy whenever you need to get out of a life threatening situation, ruff it in the great outdoors or even just carry around for the sake of playing it cool.
Whatever your use for them, having the best folding pocket knife you can afford is never a bad idea. There are literally thousands of options out there, so we might have missed a few, but the ones we mentioned here cater to just about every taste.
Our top pick for The Best Folding Pocket Knife however has to go to the SOG Flash II. It’s just so versatile, doubling up as a utility knife and a saw, pus it’s seriously appealing in the visuals category.
If your keen on some more reading, check out our section on the best ceramic pocket knives
Video for The Best Single Blade Folding Pocket Knives
- Read This Smith And Wesson Knife Sharpener Review If You Are A Smith And Wesson Fan - March 10, 2022
- All About BlizeTec Survival Fixed Blade Knife - March 8, 2022
- The Best Gifts For Hunters – Updated And Crammed Full Of Great Ideas - March 7, 2022