Last Updated on
If you’re stuck on deciding which Small Pocket Knife to opt for, we’re here to help. The thing you just need to keep in mind is the fact that it’s really hard to pinpoint the ultimate small pocket knife because of the wide variety out there, each suited for different users and applications.
What makes it the best small pocket knife?
The choices can seem a little overwhelming. There’s single blade, 2, 3 and 4 blades, Swiss Army Knives, jack knives, lock-blade etc. Even when you’ve figured out what type of small pocket knife you like, there’s still a multitude of choices. Before you pin down your preferred choice, do take the following points into consideration:
- The blade – The best small pocket knife has a razor sharp blade and retain its sharpness as well as durability.
- The handle – The best small pocket knives have tough, resilient handles that don’t absorb moisture. Titanium, FRN and Zytel are great materials for the handle itself, as long as the design is solid and gives you a comfortable grip.
- Value for your money – Most of us are limited to a budget, but still want and need excellent quality, and the great news is that there are plenty of really well priced small pocket knives out there that still live up to their expectations.
- The size – The best small pocket knives have a blade length of less than 3 inches, which is perfect for slipping into your pocket and using as a simple utility knife.
That being said, here are our picks for some really great small pocket knives:
Good Small Pocket Knife Brand
We love the Stockman because it’s manufactured by a tried and trusted brand, Buck, a company who has been in business since 1945. The great thing about all Buck knives is that they come with a lifetime warranty, meaning they’ll always be happy to replace or repair your knife if something goes wrong.
Who will like the Stockman?
If you’re into the vintage look but still need a super durable and reliable pocket knife, the Stockman would suit you perfectly. It’s a great utility knife and generally just a great tool to carry around with you at all times for all your cutting needs.
Made from 420 High Carbon steel, the Stockman has a really good quality blade. The knife has three blades; the spey point, the sheepsfoot and the clip point blade.
The Grip and Handling
The rosewood brass plated handle gives this knife a great vintage look and the handle is long enough to give you an amazing grip.
- Has a closed length of 3 and 7/8ths inches
- Weighs in at 2.9 ounces
- Comes with a 2 and 3/4ths clips point blade, a 2 inch spey blade and a 2 inch sheepsfoot blade
If you’re interested, you can also check out some of buck’s other great brands.
Quality Small Pocket Knife
We love the Benchmade 940 because the brand is very reputable, the knife is a great size and weight, and it’s ambidextrous and super durable. The only pitfall to the Benchmade 940 might be the fact that it’s a little more expensive, but we believe it’s an investment well worth making.
Who will like the Benchmade 940?
If you need a high quality knife that’s set to last and you have a little more to invest, then the Benchmade 940 is a great fit for you. This knife is great for uses in daily jobs, and can easily last a lifetime if you give it the proper care and clean it often.
Made from S30V steel, the blade of the Benchman 940 is great quality steel. It’s great at resisting rust, retaining its edge and its super durable and reliable. Coming in at 3.4 inches, this knife is a bit longer than the standard small pocket knife, but we still think it’s worthy of being classified as a small pocket knife that can help you get big tasks done.
The Grip and Handling:
Made from green anodized aluminum and lined with stainless steel, the Benchman 940 has a very strong handle, but it’s not formed with finger grooves, so the simple handle design makes it suitable for just about any hand size.
- Has a blade length of 3.4 inches
- Has a handle length of 4.47 inches
- Has an overall length of 7.87 inches
- Weighs in at 2.9 ounces
Most Expensive Small Pocket Knife
Although the Victorinox Swiss Army Knife comes in as our most expensive small pocket knife, we still love it and would invest in it in a heartbeat.
The reason why we chose this knife as our top overall winner of The Best Small Pocket Knife category is very simple to understand: It is manufactured with durability in mind, it gives you lots of different blade options, and it also comes with a range of tools and can be used for both indoor and outdoor uses.
Who will like the SwissChamp?
If you’re the kind of person that needs all your tools with you in one compact solution and you have the extra cash to spend, then the SwissChamp can revolutionize the way you go about your day and might just be the last pocket knife you ever purchase.
This knife comes with two blades (a larger main blade and a smaller blade), a corkscrew, a screwdriver, a wire stripper, a key ring, tweezers, scissors, and toothpick to name but a few. It’s really an all-in-one pocket knife that still has super sharp blades that will last as long as you do, given that you take care of it properly and clean it often.
- Weighs in at 6.6 ounces
- Measures in at 3.6 inches by 1.1 inches by 1.3 inches
- Has a blade length of 2.6 inches
- Has a closed length of 3.6 inches
We think that investing in the SwissChamp is about your very best bet when it comes to buying a small pocket knife. The very best value often costs a little more, but it’s an investment that will repay itself and given the proper care and cleaning, live as long as you do!