Revealed: The Best Cheap Shun Knives That Are Worth The Price
I bet you didn’t dream that the words Shun and Cheap go together right? Let me prove you wrong
First things first:
Whenever I refer to “cheap”, I’m definitely not talking cheap quality, but rather something more affordable and easy on the pocket that still packs oodles of quality.
The Deal With Shun Knives
I know that a lot of you are letting out a big sigh right now, saying “she can’t be serious, Shun Knives are crazy expensive”. And yes, you’re right, but there ARE Cheap Shun Knives out there, and I’ll give you what you want in just a moment.
Shun Knives are best known for their razor-sharp edges with stunning designs that bring together steel and high performance to make them some of the most sought after kitchen knives ever.
The Different Shun Knives
Shun has a massive collection of pretty impressive knives in their line-up, so here are the basics you need to know about.
- Shun Blue Steel
This range features knives with carbon steel cutting cores that are easy to re-sharpen. The added stainless steel top layer ensures these knives are easy to care for.
- Shun Classic
This beautiful line of knives is best known for its Damascus looks sans the rusting issues. The Classic Series all come with blades that reduce food sticking.
- Shun Classic Pro
The updated Shun Pro line is a showcase of stunning graffiti-etched blades made from high-carbon VG-10 steel. These knives are superstars when it comes to edge taking and retention.
- Shun Dual Core
This line features blades of layered and roll-forged Damascus, made from 2 premium Damascus steels, VG-10 and V2. As a result these blades are thin, light and strong, and don’t forget about the beauty aspect thanks to the herringbone patterns.
- Shun Higo-No Kami
This is Shun’s answer to Western style folding knives, and they make for some seriously handsome accessories.
- Shun Premier
All the intricate handcrafting techniques from ancient Japan crammed into graceful and elegant hand-forged knives…that are what the Premierline from Shun is all about. All blades in the Premier line is made from VG-10 steel, clad wit 16 layers of stainless Damascus on either side of the blade before being beveled for lateral stability and precision like nothing else.
- Shun Sora
Yes, this is where we want to be. Shun’s economically priced line that still encompasses Shun’s proprietary Composite Blade technology. What you get is perfect VG-10 San Mai cutting edges with Japanese 420J Stainless Steel uppers for sharp edges and superior edge retention. These knives carry traditional Japanese designs (the blade and handle shapes) but the TPE polymer handle give them contemporary looks, secure grips, great balance and maintenance that’s virtually fool-proof.
- KAI Pure Komachi Series
Shun’s Pure Komachi knives are designed for specific functions and boast high-carbon stainless steel blades with fluorinated resin coatings to keep food from sticking to the blade. These are also budget friendly knives in the Shun Knives range.
So the answer is pretty clear. The cheapest Shun knives are Sora and Pure Komachi. Now let me show you the best picks of those two lines.
Best Cheap Shun Knives Options
Shun Sora 8 Inch Chef’s Knife
I love this sleek, old worldly yet modern chef’s knife from the Sora series by Shun. The easy grip handle is perfect for handling the lightweight knife with its shiny, great balanced blade. While it probably won’t impress a pro restaurant chef, this is the perfect addition to a home cook’s arsenal. It’s great at slicing and dicing with ease and precision.
- The design is superb and boasts a very comfortable handle
- It’s a well-balanced, lightweight knife that’s still heavy enough to feel like a ‘real’ knife
- It slices perfect cuts for its budget-friendly price tag
- You’ll need knowledge (or willingness to learn) of the skills required to use this blade as not to damage it
Shun Sora 3-1/2 Inch Paring Knife
I really appreciated how effortless peeling and coring was with the 3-1/2 inch Shun Sora Paring Knife. The razor-sharp 16-degree cutting angle on each side of the blade helped me perform precision tasks with ease and the overall look just sealed the deal. It’s a great knife for an exceptionally great price.
- It has a razor sharp edge
- It’s made from superior quality materials
- It’s very affordable considering its high performance
- I wish the edge was easier to sharpen up again
Shun KAI Pure Komachi Series 2 8-Inch Chef’s Knife
Okay so I have to say that I absolutely adore the looks of this knife. I tested one in Fuchsia, which gave me a great girly boost with all the cutting power at a ridiculously cheap price. The Shun KAI Pure Komachi Series 2 line is actually color coded for a reason: picking the right knife for the job. Anyway, the bold cover over the high-carbon stainless steel blade resists corrosion, makes cleaning effortless and allows for clean cuts.
- The blade is pretty good at retaining its edge considering the price tag
- The lightweight handle is ergonomically contoured for a superior comfort grip
- It actually looks and performs great
- The handle is silly really, and will prove to be cheap and very dangerous in case it ever gets wet
Shun KAI Pure Komachi 9 Piece Knife Set with Block
Who knew that you could get a whole set of cheap Shun Knives? And the price cannot be better; I mean at only about $65 for a set of 9 knives, I initially thought there was a system glitch! All I really care about is the exceptional value you get in this bundle. The set comes with a an 8 inch Chef’s Knife, 8 inch Bread Knife, 6-1/2 inch Chef’s Knife, 4 inch Tomato / Cheese Knife and a 4 inch Citrus Knife. These are all Pure Komachi Series 2 knives, so they have the bold and beautiful colors I mentioned in the Chef’s Knife.
- Comes with a 3-1/2 inch paring, 6 inch utility, 5-3/4 sandwich, 8 inch chef’s, 6-1/2 inch chef’s, 8 inch bread, 4 inch cheese and a 4 inch citrus knife
- The clear acrylic storage block is an added attractive feature
- These knives are all lightweight and easy to use and clean plus they’re super affordable as a set, making them the perfect house-warming gift.
- The whopper acrylic block just takes up heaps of space on my countertop
So there you have it: Cheap Shun Knives that STILL bring you top quality materials and razor sharp edges at a fraction of the real deal Shuns.
Make sure you check back in with me again soon to see what I make of the Shun Classic Knife Set before I give you the lowdown on Shun Edo Knives.
Video for The Best Cheap Shun Knives That Are Worth The Price
- The Best Shaving Cream For Women - March 14, 2022
- Cuisinart Cutlery Knives Review - March 13, 2022
- The Chicago Cutlery Boning Knife – Solid, Reliable And Time-Tested - March 13, 2022
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!