Your definitive guide for finding the Best Military Pocket Knives
Here’s the deal:
Whether you need it for backup or if it’s your only self-defense tool, the best military pocket knives can make all the difference in any emergency situation.
Why are military pocket knives great?
Well, the smaller and the more discreet they are the better fit they are for your pockets to be used as EDC knives, which makes them great for utility and defense applications. Military folding knives are also great because they’re strong enough to fight with and just big enough to intimidate anything and anyone that wants to attack you.
The simple point is this:
You don’t want to get caught empty handed when things go south. Bringing a knife to a gunfight is always better than not having anything at all.
Ideally you’d want something like the Blizetec survival fixed blade knife at your side, but a man’s got to be prepared while still looking like he’s unarmed, so that rules out fixed blade knives.
I’m going to show you some of the best military pocket knives out there. These bad boys are going to be your best friends out in the field whether they’re covering your ass or helping your survive; they’re bound to probably outlive you!
The Best Tactical Pocket Knives Ever
1. Buck Bones
It’s sleek, dark and has a frame-lock design, but it’s still lightweight and medium-sized, all you need and more can be found in the Buck Bones. Don’t be fooled by the coating that looks slick to the touch, the curved handle on the Bones folder boasts 3 grip areas at the most critical pressure points that’ll never let you down. I like it for its light weight which is thanks to the skeletal frame, but the frame also cuts parts down to a minimum which results in a more functional tactical folding knife. For easy one handed opening, the Bones has dual thumb studs. The 420C stainless steel has a tanto point and is partially serrated, so it’s very versatile and its protected by a black oxide coating to keep rust and corrosion at bay.
- It’s made with good quality materials
- It’s very versatile
- It’s small and lightweight
- It’s made in China. Need I say more? Really Buck?
- It’s not a flipper blade
2. Gerber FAST Draw Tanto
Gerber’s FAST Draw Tanto boasts the Assisted Opening 2.0 Mechanism from Gerber, so this knife always opens up smooth, albeit it does require a breaking in period to get there. Boasting a 3 inch blade made with 7Cr17MoV steel, the FAST Draw also has dual thumb studs for right or left hand opening which I like. Penetrating things is virtually effortless with the Tanto tip and to get quick and aggressive cutting jobs done, the serrated section of the blade comes in very handy. The nylon handle sports textured scales to ensure you always have a firm grip.
- The handle provides you with a firm grip
- The blade steel is very strong and durable
- It’s a very versatile and practical tactical folding knife
- It’s made in China. Come on Gerber!
- The lock mechanism is very frustrating during the initial few weeks of use because it’s stiff
3. Smith & Wesson SWMP4LS M&P MAGIC Assisted 3.6” Combo Blade
I love the M&P MAGIC Assisted 3.6” Combo Blade for its rugged and intimidating look. With its firearm styling and solid feel, this military and police series knife features a wicked glass breaking pommel and a tip-up pocket clip. The M.A.G.I.C assisted opening mechanism is really a magic, I mean it’s fast and very powerful and you activate it by pulling the lever that almost looks like a gunsight, you can also push the thumb stud to spring the blade open. The name is brilliant, it stands for Magic, Assisted, Generational, Innovative, Cutlery – MAGIC.
- The blade sharpness is fantastic
- The blade material is just as great
- The handle feels great and always ensures a firm grip
- The knife is overall high quality
- The lock is initially very hard to use and requires some breaking in
- It’s a bit on the heavy side
4. Cold Steel Hold Out III
The Cold Steel Hold Out III looks like a folding dagger with its uniformly shaped handle and blade. I like to think of it in an ancient Stone Age type of way because that what it resembles. The shape is highly functional, the grip gives you all you need and more and the Tri-Ad Lock mechanism is easy to use and very secure. It weighs in at a mere 2.5 ounces, but it’s strengthened by the AUS-8A steel and the G-10 handle. It has a blade length of 3 inches and the knife comes with a reversible pocket clip, which is very helpful.
- It’s lightweight
- It’s very versatile
- It has a seriously sharp edge
- The grip is awesome
- The Tri-Ad Lock Mechanism works exactly like it should
- The pocket clip isn’t large enough
- It’s just a “nice” knife for a “nice” price,
- I’ve seen lots of better knives, but for its price, the performance is perfectly acceptable.
5. CRKT M16-02Z
I’ve always been a massive fan of the CRKT M16. Why? Well…it’s light, it’s sharp and it does a great job with just about any kind of cutting. It’s also great with edge retention, which is another reason why I love the Kit Carson’s M16. Durability is taken care of on the 3 inch blade. It’s a great self-defense knife and measures in at an opened length of 7.375 inches; 4.25 inches closed and weighs in at 3.6 ounces. The blade is made from AUS 4 steel, which is strong and durable and it also boasts a glass-filled nylon handle with a 420J2 liner that just adds to the durability. It is equipped with CRKT’s Proprietary Auto LAWKS Safety System that perfectly rounds off a pretty impressive tactical folding knife.
- The blade is kick-ass strong and very durable
- The handle would have been good without the liner, but the addition of the 420J2 liner just seals the deal
- The Auto LAWKS Safety System that I would like to see implemented on all pocket knives, it’s that good
- The lock mechanism is initially very hard to operate
So that’s it. 5 of the Best Military Pocket Knives available on today’s market, which one you opt for will inevitably be the one that suits your pocket and your needs. They’re all awesome.
Video for The Best Military Pocket Knives
- Read This Smith And Wesson Knife Sharpener Review If You Are A Smith And Wesson Fan - March 10, 2022
- All About BlizeTec Survival Fixed Blade Knife - March 8, 2022
- The Best Gifts For Hunters – Updated And Crammed Full Of Great Ideas - March 7, 2022