Last Updated on
Your insider’s guide into the revolutionary Calphalon Knives – Tried, Tested & True.
If you haven’t heard about Calphalon Self-Sharpening Knives before, here’s what you missed:
Calphalon Classic Self-Sharpening Cutlery features SharpIN™ Technology, which basically just means that the knife block you store your Calphalon Knives in has a built in sharpener.
I’m about to give you a look behind the scenes with the help of my Calphalon Knives Review, but before we get there, there are a few facts you need to get down first.
From the Manufacturer:
“Since these knife blocks have built-in ceramic sharpeners, they’ll automatically sharpen your blades every time you remove them from the block to ensure they’re at peak sharpness for the start of every cutting job.
Calphalon Knives are made with high-carbon, no-stain forged steel and feature full tang construction with comfortably balanced, triple-riveted handles.
All Calphalon Knives come with a full lifetime warranty and are labeled at the handle to make sure you choose the right knife every time”
Okay wait, does this mean you’ll never have to sharpen Calphalon Knives manually? The idea of knife sharpening being taken care of (by something other than my own hands) was super tempting, but read on to see how the SharpIN sharpeners actually worked.
My personal thoughts:
Calphalon currently has a few self-sharpening knife sets out there, and they typically range from $129 to $279, depending on the number of tools in the set. Higher end models even come with fully forged German Steel knives.
I personally took the Calphalon Classic Self Sharpening Cutlery Knife Block Set with SharpIn Technology, 12 Piece.
Without keeping you in the dark any longer, here’s what happened…
The Calphalon Knives Review – Classic Self Sharpening Knives
- Product Tested:Calphalon Classic Self Sharpening Cutlery Knife Block Set with SharpIN Technology, 12 Piece
- Ease of Use Score: 4/5
- Value for Money Score:4/5
This is important:
Not ALL of the knives in the set have that famed self-sharpening feature. The slots for the 8 Inch Chef’s Knife, 5 Inch Santoku Knife and the 4.5 Inch Paring Knife are the only slots that come with the built-in sharpener.
Back to business…
How The Calphalon SharpIN Technology Works:
Look, the sharpener is located at the base of the knife slot, so getting it to actually work isn’t something that just happens.
You’ll need to draw the knives out of their slots by using a downward angle when removing them.
In short: if you pull the knife out in an upward angle, the sharpener is basically useless.
Calphalon Classic Knife Set Performance
I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the sheer slicing abilities of these knives. I worked my way through everything from fruits to chocolate, I minced nuts and chopped dried fruits, I prepped carrots and zucchini and sliced cheese, and they worked, time and time again.
What’s in the box?
The 12 Piece Set from Calphalon Classic comes with:
- 8 inch Chef’s Knife
- 6 Inch Serrated Utility Knife
- 5 Inch Santoku Knife
- 5 Inch Paring Knife
- 6 Steak Knives
- Kitchen Shears
- Self-Sharpening Knife Block
Here’s what I liked (the Pros)
- Once I actually got the hang of the knife removing maneuver, it was easy pulling them out at the right angle to catch the sharpener every time.
- There’s a great array of knife sizes and styles in this set
- The blades keep their edges pretty darn good
- It’s a great set for those of you that aren’t too comfortable with manual knife sharpening
- The price is really fantastic
- The knives are made from high-carbon forged steel, so it’s serious quality
Here’s what got to me (the Cons)
- I was kind of irritated with the fact that I initially believed ALL of the slots in the block would have the SharpIN feature
- There’s a trick that has to be mastered so that the sharpening feature actually works
- The block is big and bulky and took up more space on my countertop than I had anticipated it would
- The paring knife is way too long for my liking
- If you’ve got the whetstone sharpening process down, these knives just won’t have the edge you’re used to
Would I recommend it?
Yes, even after the blind surprise of the less-than-impressive number of sharpening slots, the 12 Piece Calphalon Classic would definitely be something I recommend for the avid home cook on a tight budget but who still needs good, solid quality knives.
Other Calphalon Lines Worth Considering
Look, if you’re not sold on the idea of the Classic range with its Self-Sharpening block set, Calphalon also has a Katana block set, which is one of the best value sets you’ll get for its price tag.
The Calphalon Katana Cutlery 14 Piece Knife Set
I personally love this set, because it just gives you that much more value, albeit it does not come with the Self-Sharpening feature found in the Classic series blocks. These Japanese knives all have exceptionally sharp edges and they stay sharp for what seems to be forever. They’re rigid and rust resistant thanks to the blades that are clad with 33 stainless steel layers and their integrated bolsters ensure a solid and comfortable grip.
- This set comes with a 3.5 inch paring knife, a 5.5 inch serrated utility knife, a 7 inch Santoku knife, a 7 inch slicer knife, a 8 inch chef’s knife, 6 steak knives, a pair of kitchen shears, a diamond sharpening steel and a bamboo knife block.
- These knives come with dangerously, albeit impressively, sharp blades straight out of the box
- The knives don’t have rivets, pores or any openings, which means their sanitary
- The high-carbon steel used for construction means these knives can and WILL rust if you leave them ‘soaking’ in the sink
- The blades are super hard, so if you’re abusing it (by not using the right knife for the right job) you’ll end up with chipped blades
Now you know a little more about the Calphalon Self-Sharpening knife blocks and their Katana line, and I really hope that my Calphalon Knives Review has helped you see what’s out there and what the alternatives are.
If this got you amped up, make sure you check back in with me soon to see what the Calphalon Contemporary Knives are all about and why they’re making waves among those of us who refuse to give up on the dream of becoming a kitchen professional!
Video for Calphalon Knives Review
Cooking and beauty are my passion. I love shopping for kitchen goods because using the right tools can really change the way you cook!
How you feel when you cook can really appear in the dishes you cook.