Last Updated on
I don’t know about you ladies, but I’m not entirely a fan of shaving my legs. Things like razor burn, allergic reactions, and nicked skin but touch the surface of all the possible mishaps that come to play when you’re not armed with the best razor for legs.
Luckily, I have my fair share of experience, and as such, I’ve decided to put together a little roundup-style post, you know, just to show you all what your options are. I dived straight in and literally shaved my way through the abundance of products out there with the aim of identifying the top leg-shaving razors on the market today.
The kind of razors that I’m referring to here are not multitaskers, and they definitely aren’t what I’d call the best razor for the bikini area, but something more along the lines of helping you perfect that velvety smooth leg look!
Top 5 Razors for Shaving the Legs
Without any further ramblings from my side, here’s a roundup of the 5 best leg-shaving razors out there, listed in no particular order
Gillette Venus Original Razor
I have always been a fan of the original Gillette Venus. Come on, sing with me here: “I’m your Venus, I’m your Fire…” well you get the deal. The big reason for me loving this razor so much is because it really delivers a sharp, smooth shave, and it rocks at maneuverability.
This razor is totally capable of working a few times before the blade starts to dull out, and shaving around tricky areas such as my knee caps is never an issue because the razor head moves so easily.
The other big factor at play here is the fact that the Gillette Venus is very affordable when compared to other leading brands, and they’re also widely available, you can literally pick them up from the drugstore on your way home!
- It’s convenient and easy to use
- It’s widely available
- It offers a very close and smooth shave
- It’s affordable
- Comes with added shave gel on the razor, eliminating the need for shaving gel to be purchased separately.
- The blades won’t last that long, but good care will ensure a longer lifespan.
The Schick Quattro for Women is actually nothing more than a remodeled form of the Quattro for Men. This razor comprises of 4 super thin blades that pivot, giving you the power to get a perfect shave, even in the tightest of spots.
I love the “conditioning strips” which moisturize my legs as I shave, plus with the scent of papaya and pear coming through, it actually feels good too! The textured handle with its rubber covering makes this lightweight razor feel like it’s got more oomph behind it. It’s also pretty cool because it gives you more grip in wet scenarios, like shaving in the shower for instance.
I have to admit that I was slightly annoyed by the idea of not having any space on the razor where I could rest my finger on, and the fact that it didn’t produce a hairless result wasn’t fantastic, but for its price, the Quattro does the job, not great, but it gets it done.
- It’s comfortable and easy to use
- It does what it’s made to do
- It comes with great-smelling conditioning strips
- It’s affordable
- It causes nicks and skin irritations on extremely sensitive skin
- There’s no space to rest your finger on
- It requires a few drags in order to get a close shave
Schick Hydro Silk
Schick’s Hydro Silk, in my humble opinion, super effective at hydrating the skin, well, compared to other razors in any way. I love the moisturizing serums that are infused in the bars above and below the actual blade because they continue to keep my skin feeling soft and smooth, up to 2 hours after I shaved!
The blades on this razor senses up to 5 curves at a time, and coupled with the water-activated shaving cream on the razor, the Hydro Silk is s surefire way to protect your legs against irritations.
The razor looks great and I love the ergonomic handle, which gives me superior control over my shaving experience.
One of the downsides of the Hydro Silk was its vulnerability; I think this thing is capable of breaking into a thousand shards if you don’t take proper care of it!
- Moisturizes the skin making it a great choice for women with sensitive skin
- Has an ergonomic design and grippy handle
- Easily produces a close shave in tight spots.
- Breaks easily
- Won’t be as effective on very coarse hair
Gillette Venus Embrace
So around 2008, Gillette introduced their Mach 3 for Men, and shortly after they gave us the great and popular Venus Embrace for Women. The great thing about this is that Mach 3 blades can be used on the Embrace, but if you stick with the original Embrace blades, you’ll get the benefit of using 5 blades that hug each and every curve of your legs plus the power of built-in moisturizing blades!
The razor has a bump at the front, making it perfect for a finger rest, and I always appreciate an ergonomic design! I’ve used this razor without shaving gel, and let me tell you, it’s totally acceptable because it comes with water-activated gel strips that help to moisturize the skin as you shave.
I received a great shower caddy with my razor, which is ideal for attaching to the shower wall and also storing 2 spare blades. Removing the old blades and then attaching new ones is just as easy as using the razor itself, I don’t think things could be more effortless.
- It’s easy to use
- It’s very effective
- Comes with handy shower caddy for storage
- It’s not the cheapest disposables out there
- The blades won’t last that long
Bic Soleil Bella for Women
The Bic Soleil Bella disposable comes in as my pick for the best bang for your buck razor. They cost roughly $6 for a pack of 3 razors, which equates to about $2 a pop. This gives you a razor that packs the punch of 4 blades as well as hydrating strips with coconut milk.
That’s not all: these razors also have pivoting heads which help produce the closest, neatest shave possible. I think it might be fair to say that the Soleil Bella delivers so much more than we could ever expect of a budget razor for legs!
- Produces a close shave
- Comes with 4 blades and a pivoting head
- It’s very affordable
- Not as ergonomic or comfortable as my other top picks
- The blades will last for about 2 uses
How to Get the Closest Shave Ever
Look: you’ll probably hear a thousand more pieces of advice in your life on how to achieve the best shave ever, but I think that all women out there should be armed with the info they need to help the best razor for legs do the best job it possibly can.
Here’s my tried-and-tested advice…
- Once you get in the shower, let things get steamy for about 5 minutes before proceeding with the shaving duties. This allows the pores to open up and all surface dirt to be rinsed off before you commence with the shaving.
- Shave at night, not in the A.M. Your legs swell up a little at night, causing the hair to retract somewhat. When you shave at night instead of in the morning, you’ll wake up with a smoother, longer lasting hairless leg look!
- Invest in good quality shaving cream or gel. Don’t even think about “dry” shaving, unless of course you’re okay with nicks and razor burn.
- Use razors that have 2 or more blades to get the smoothest results. Using cheap disposables that one have a single blade is fine every once-and-again, but don’t make a habit out of it if you’re aiming for a smooth-leg look.
- Make sure you replace your razor blades (or the whole thing if you’re using disposables) after 6 or 7 shaves.
- First shave down the leg, and then up, not the other way around.
- Use a body scrub on a weekly basis to get rid of dead skin cells, which may be the cause of razor burns in the first place.
- DON’T use other people’s razors, EVER!
There you have it ladies! I’ve shown you what 5 of the best leg-shaving razors for 2017 looks like, and I hope that this has inspired you to start rethinking the kind of shaving tools you use to get a close shave on your legs! I’ve also thrown in a few handy hints that might help you finally achieve that glowing-goddess leg look, and I’m hoping that you’ll start implementing the techniques that I talked about as soon as you get home this afternoon!
Remember: Your shaving results require nothing more but some basic know-how and an excellent razor for female legs! Happy shaving days!